Coggins and Health Certificate

A Health Certificate is required for horses traveling across state lines. To issue a health certificate, the horse must be examined by a veterinarian within 30 days of the date of travel. Additional steps are required for horses traveling into Canada. Horses must also have a current coggins to be issued a health certificate. Some states also require a travel permit in addition to a health certificate.

A Coggins Test tests for the prevalence of Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA). All horses traveling to and from horse events (shows, auctions, etc.) must have a current coggins. In the state of California, a coggins test must be current within a 6 month period.

Overview of Required Travel Documents: Click Here
Transport Requirements by state: Click Here
Overview of Equine Travel Regulations: Click Here